The Jennifer Baker Fund is committed to reducing the number of attempts and completions among youth in Oregon. The Fund is in building mode and will begin grantmaking in 2005.
- Grant recipients must be tax-exempt charitable organizations described in Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(3), educational institutions, or governmental entities. Grants may not be made to individuals, or to “private foundations” as described under section 509(a) of the Code.
- Grant recipients must sign a statement certifying that they do not discriminate in their leadership, staffing, or service on the basis of age, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, national origin, political affiliation or religious belief.
- Grant recipients must complete a Northwest Health Foundation application with a summary cover sheet signed by the applicant organization’s Board Chair, or the Chair’s designee.
- Organizations must agree to participate in evaluation of the project’s effectiveness.
How to Apply
If you believe a match exists between your project idea and the youth suicide prevention strategies idenitified in “A Call to Action,” you may submit an application for up to $1,000 according to the requirements below. If your project idea falls outside the the realm of the strategies, but you believe there is a local need for your project, you may also submit a proposal.Projects that address the strategies identified in “A Call to Action”, particularly those that incorporate education, generally guide the decisions of the fund.
An application should include one copy each of the application cover sheet, an explanatory letter (not to exceed two pages), and a budget. The application must be mailed or delivered to the Foundation office. The cover sheet is a PDF (Portable Document File). To view and print PDFs, you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Your proposal should be no longer than 2 pages and should state
- Purpose of the project
- Description of the proposed project including who will be served, where, and the elements that can be used
- Problem/issue/need to be addressed
- Anticipated impact on the community
- Background/qualifications of the grant-seeking organization
- Amount to be requested
Checklist for Applying
- 10 copies of cover sheet. Original must be signed by Board Chair, Department Head or designee.
- 10 copies of the proposal.
- Application must be received in the Foundation office by 5:00 p.m. on the deadline date.
All grant requests are acknowledged in writing and will be reviewed to determine fit with the guiding principles and funding interests of the Jennifer Baker Fund. If an application falls within our guidelines, staff may request additional information about an organization or a proposed project. Foundation staff may wish to schedule site visits or interviews with applicant organizations to discuss a project in more detail and to meet the people involved.
The Jennifer Baker Fund Web Site is designed to provide information about funding interests, selection criteria, and application procedures. This information should not be interpreted as a commitment by The Jennifer Baker Fund or the Northwest Health Foundation to fund any particular project, program, or organization.